Wednesday, July 6, 2011

advice.

I have always wondered why some people think complete strangers want to hear their advice....when it is not asked for. Today we went to the commisary (military grocery store)...Mistake number 1, We went when Camden was a bit of a crank...mistake number 2, and we went right when people were getting of work...mistake number 3. We are on our third aisle when it happens...Camden decides to have a meltdown, which he is getting quite good at these days, we are at the front of the store where the line is for the check out and I am trying my best to talk to him to get him to calm down which was going quite smoothly when I hear someone behind me talking, I look back and apparently this unknown person is talking to me...everyone now is looking at me and my screaming child as this lady goes on and on, "you know what I always did with my son when we went shopping, I would always put him in a baby carrier", "HUM, that might work but my son is 28 pounds", "O just get the back carrier, I seriously carried my son until he was three in that thing" she goes on and on about this as I nod my head trying to look reasonably interested in what she is saying, "well thanks for the advice" I say as I turn around to try and get back to my son and his meltdown, I thought this was a clear indication for the conversation to end, but I was wrong, on and on she goes as every stares at us, "you know what you should also take time to yourself, seriously go out tonight and have some fun" she says, Hum well I didn't think I looked that stressed after all a meltdown is to be expected when you have a tired one year old, what felt frustrating was not the meltdown but this random lady who thought I wanted to hear her advice while everyone stared at us, while my son is screaming. In the end I thanked her again for the advice and walked away....feeling very frustrated and annoyed about what I felt like was criticism I received in front of everyone!

On a bright note though: Camden's meltdown was short lived and has been the wonderful little boy I know and love!

P.S. we just got back from NY and has soon as I get a free moment I'll post pictures :)

3 comments:

The White's said...

I get that all the time! One time, luckily not in public, I went to visit Matt's grandma after a surgery and Payton had fallen asleep, so instead of waking her up I let her sleep in the car. I shut and locked the doors and was inside for about 20 minutes. Well Matt's aunt came over and started yelling at me telling me how dare I leave my child in there and how hot it is outside and that she must be copletely boiling hot. It was only 60 degrees out that day, plus I had the ac on while driving and the car felt really cool when I left. Well I leave and get out to the car and it felt completely cool and she was sleeping soundly, so yeah maybe I shouldn't have left her that long and maybe it was a bad mommy moment, but I hated that Matt's aunt pretty much told me I was going to kill my child by doing that, and implied that I was neglectful. I went home so upset. Sorry such a long comment, I guess I needed to rant about that. Anyhow I'm glad he calmed down and also glad that you enjoyed N.Y. can't wait to see pics.

Nathaniel and Sarah said...

I'm sorry that happened to you Tiff. Part of me thinks the toughest part about being a mom is all the judgement you get and criticism from those around you! But my mom once told me: each child that is sent to you came to you specifically because you are exactly what that child needs. So while people think they have all the wisdom in the world on raising your child...they dont! So that made me feel a bit better :) I think that you are a great mom Tiff!!!

katelinklug said...

I love your comment about what your mom tells you! I think that makes it so much more special having my little girls. I think it's nice to get advice from other people IF I ASK FOR IT! I've had similar experiences and it's so hard.